Swami Vivekananda, born on 12 January 1963 by the name of Narenda Nath Datta in Calcutta. He was a Hindu monk and one of the chief disciple of Ramakrishna. Swami Vivekananda was instrumental in the introduction of Indian philosophies like Vedanta and Yoga to the Western World. After reading or listening about swami Vivekananda life story you are bound to get inspired by his infinite wisdom. So here are 30 Swami Vivekananda quotes that will make you wiser. Wiser than what you were yesterday if you take them seriously.
1. The world is the greatest gymnasium where we come to make ourselves strong.
2. All differences in the World are of degree, and not kind, because oneness is the secret of everything.
3. The more we come out and do good to others, the more our hearts with be purified and God will be in them.
4. That man has reached immortality who is disturbed by nothing material.
5. Whenever we attain a higher vision, the lower vision disappears of itself.
6. Faith, faith, faith in ourselves, faith in God, this is the secret of greatness. If you have faith in all the three hundred and thirty million of your mythological Gods, ………. and still have no faith in yourself there is no salvation for you.
7. Are you unselfish? That’s the question. If you are, you will be perfect without reading a single religious book, without going into a single church or a temple.
8. Be a Hero. Always say ” I have no fear “. Tell this to everyone “Have no fear”.
9. Fear is death, fear is sin, fear is hell, fear is unrighteousness, fear is wrong life. All the negative thoughts and ideas that are in the world have proceeded through this evil spirits of fear.
10. The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
11. Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true.
12. If money helps a man to do good to others, it is of some value, but if not it is simply a mass of evil, and the sooner it is got rid off, the better.
13. Superstition is our worst enemy, but bigotry is worse.
14. If superstition enters, the brain is gone.
15. Blows are what awakens us and help to break the dream. They show us the insufficiency of this world and make us long to escape, to have freedom.
16. So long there is desire or want, it is a sure sign that there is imperfection. A perfect free being cannot have any desire.
17. We must overcome difficulties with constant practice. We must learn that nothing can happen to us unless we make ourselves susceptible to it.
18. Even the greatest fool can accomplish a task, if it were after his or her heart. But the intelligent ones are those who can convert every work into one that suits their taste.
19. Fill the brain with high thoughts, high ideals, place them day and night before you and out of what will come great work.
20. Stand as a rock, You are indestructible.
21. Strength is the sign of vigor, the sign of hope, the sign of health, and the sign of everything that is good. As long as the body lives, there must be strength in the body, strength in the mind, strength in the hand.
22. Each work has to pass through 3 stages, ridicule, opposition and then acceptance. Those who think ahead of the time are sure to be misunderstood.
23. We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live, they travel far.
24. You have to grow inside out. None can teach you. None can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul.
25. Never think there is anything impossible for the soul. It is the greatest heresy to think so. If there is sin, this is the only sin. to say that you are weak or others are weak.
26. If faith in ourselves had been more extensively thought and practiced. I’m sure a very large portion of the evil and the miseries that we have would have vanished.
27. When an idea exclusively occupies the mind. It is transferred into an actual physical or mental state.
28. Stand up, be bold, be strong, take the whole responsibility on your own shoulders and know that you are the creator of your own destiny. All the strength and succor you want is within yourself. Therefore make your own future.
29. Take up an idea, make that one idea your life, think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves every part of your body be full of that idea. and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to succeed.
30. Arise, awake and stop not until the goal is reached.
Every swami Vivekananda quotes mentioned in this list have a very strong message related to mind, body and soul. We hope you would have enjoyed reading this inspiring swami Vivekananda quotes and after going through all of them we definitely believe that you will be become wiser in the years to come.
Photo credit: Ajay Tallam